Friday, March 21, 2014

Here a Heron, There A Heron

A few weeks ago I shared a post about how there was a heron at the pond minding its on business when this heron swooped into the pond like a flying maniac catching a catfish dinner in a very impressive display.  Usually these birds stalk around the perimeter of the pond quietly fishing.  Not so this heron,  It spotted its prey from a great distance.  When all this was going on the first heron flew off.  I wasn't sure where it went, but was so fascinated watching heron #2's antics that I didn't think much of it.   

After enjoying the dinner of catfish and pond water this bird stood on the bank as pictured above.  Then it would fluff up its feathers and walk over to my neighbors fence a good bit away from the pond.  It took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on.



Do you see where the first heron ended up?  Everyone has a big old bird like this perched on their fence, right?  Oh, this made me LAUGH. 
 


And do you see the fluffiness of the feathers of the grounded heron?  I think its showing off.  Do you think the one on the ground is male and the female is on the fence?





Here is a zoomed in photo of the fence heron. 




As exciting as all this was my daughter needed to go to work so we piled into the car grabbing the camera on the way.   



On the way out of the neighborhood this is the photo I snapped. Do you think she is watching me or the silly dancing heron on the ground?  Or maybe she has an eye on both of us?




6 comments:

  1. oh, that's too cute! i do hope they're a pair and not competing males. that last photo is sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I was able to visit... but aren't we supposed to be looking at ducks? :) As a true bird lover.. I have to say that I love where you live and the absolute blessings that the Lord places right in your own front yard! Wonderful!

    ~~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew that herons were full of such antics? I didn't, but I've loved keeping up with all the feathered friends at your place. Sort of like nature study through blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing when big birds land in your yard, isn't it? We have a hawk that likes to sit (menacingly) on the branch above our bird feeder, and I'm thrilled every time I see it (but worried for the chickadees, which is why the hawk visits).

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herons are such funny birds. How fascinating to be able to watch their antics. I do wonder who is who.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last photos is very impressive -- good work! It's so clear. I think she is being the aloof female :) How exciting to have a possible romance, right in your back yard!

    ReplyDelete