Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Spring Sightings and Stitching


Last week was a busy one, but in the midst of the hubbub it was fun to find this mallard nest tucked away under the rosemary. I checked it again today and the egg count is up to eleven now and mama is lurking in unexpected places. She is a wild duck, not like Mimi who was nesting in my bushes last year, so when she sees us she flaps wildly and will take off flying. This is very startling if you are not expecting it.

Today I saw my first hummingbird! Well, actually, I think Mike and I got buzzed by one while out walking earlier this week which is what reminded me to put my feeders up. 







Easter is on my mind I wanted some kind of decoration and since I can't find a lamb like Cheryl's,  and trust me, I've looked high and low, I settled for this little guy.  He was spotted at the drug store calling my name.  

"Leslieeeee."  

His fuzzy little self nesting in my tea cup makes me happy every time I spot him.....even though he is not a lamb. Or a duck for that matter.


 
To relax I have been working on this cross stitch of  woodland creatures.  I don't have plans for it yet. Stitching it was all about the process and puzzle of it.  Other than being a good ocular exercise for my aging eyes it facilitates both very deep thinking and not think much at all, intermittently. I can't decide what my favorite part is...the deer, the bunnies, the mushrooms, the rabbit????  I can't pick.

Summer break officially started on Monday.  Well, not for my children. They will be schooling until the cows come home. But for me, I am on break with intermittent directing of my two youngest.  
Life is good.

8 comments:

  1. good luck to ms. mallard. i saw our first hummer here last week, too. glad you have the patience (and eyesight) for the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Leslie, I am sorry that you did not find a lamb like my beloved Hudson. Your chick is adorable though, and certainly counts for a spring sighting!

    If you hadn't shown pictures of your neighborhood a short time back, I'd still be picturing you in the middle of a rural haven with your frequent wildlife visitors. Now you have Mrs. Mallard! What fun!

    And you are ahead of me in the reading department AND in the stitching department. I haven't done any cross stitch in years, but I saw a beautiful Thanksgiving pattern last fall and was inspired to purchase it. And that's where it ended. It was to be worked on linen and I wasn't sure how to stitch over two threads nor how to adapt it if I substituted aida cloth. And the "aging eyes" part didn't help either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, spring-y sight, a clutch of duck eggs! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chick in the cups is the perfect Easter decoration! So cute.
    My favourite thing on your cross-stitch is the little house.
    Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't nests of eggs the prettiest sight? I like your lil peep in a teacup. The cross stitch is really lovely. The animals are the cutest and I like the children too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cross stitch. Such a great pattern. And your Easter decoration is lovely, too. Watch out for wild ducks! That's all I have to say about it. Just be careful.

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Wayside Sacraments" has been included in Friday's Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/04/fridays-sites-to-see_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Leslie! I love the eggs - beautiful! The sampler is wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete